After unsuccessful attempts to open a colliery in Koombanda Brook, first in 1920 & then in the late 1940s, Hartley Vale No 4 was opened in 1956. In 1960 it was sold & operated until 1987 as the Grose Valley Colliery. It reopened in 1990 and operated as the Canyon Colliery until 1997.
Significant ruins from the mine still exist in the Koombanda Brook gorge.
In the late 1970s two tunnel were opened at the eastern end of the mining lease, the first in the lower section of Dalpura Creek & the second in Jinki Gully.
Large volumes of visibly polluted water flows continuously into the Grose River. Only scientific analysis can say what damage this is doing to life in the beautiful Grose River.
Apparently the high levels of pollution in the runoff will diminish over time.
Central Blue Mountains (Dunphy)
Mt Wilson 8930-1N
820 - 1030 metres
Private Property (NSW)